Not Fade Away (Music from the Motion Picture) produced by Steven Van Zandt coming December 18th
Posted on Dec 5th, 2012
Not Fade Away, the widely anticipated feature film debut from The Sopranos creator David Chase is an ode to the transformative power of rock ‘n’ roll. In 1964, the Rolling Stones appear on television and three best friends from the suburbs of New Jersey decide to form a rock band. The film stars John Magaro, Jack Huston, Will Brill, Bella Heathcote, Brad Garrett, Christopher McDonald and James Gandolfini.
The film’s forthcoming soundtrack on ABKCO Records chronicles the sounds that inspired a generation to pursue dreams of rock stardom and glory. The soundtrack, set for digital release on December 18th, will be available at iTunes and all other digital download stores. Not Fade Away, a Paramount Vantage film, opens in select theaters on December 21st, 2012.
Because music is so central to the film, Chase worked closely with executive producer Steven Van Zandt in compiling recordings that are evocative of the era and propel the narrative of Chase’s screenplay. Van Zandt played Silvio Dante in Chase’s The Sopranos over the course of the groundbreaking series’ six seasons on HBO and in 2002, created “Little Steven’s Underground Garage,” a nationally syndicated rock radio show on SiriusXM Satellite Radio. He is a long-standing member of the E Street Band.
Thanks to Van Zandt’s efforts, the film’s soundtrack includes music from the Rolling Stones, Bo Diddley, Bob Dylan, Sex Pistols, James Brown, The Rascals, Van Morrison, Robert Johnson, Elmore James and many others. The soundtrack album also includes several songs performed by the band members portrayed in the film by actors Magaro and Huston, who cut their own vocal tracks, which were produced by Van Zandt. “Tell Me” and “Parachute Woman” are two classic Rolling Stones tracks featured on the Not Fade Away soundtrack release.
Van Zandt commented, "David Chase realizes that in film, like Bruce Springsteen in music, the more detailed, accurate, and nuanced the personal vision, the more compelling the work ends up being. Helping David realize his vision was one of the most satisfying projects of my life. Watching these young actors meet every challenge we threw at them was also quite inspiring." Chase added, “Music is obviously the soul of this film. And working on the music, especially with Steven, was certainly the favorite part. John Magaro and Jack Huston sing on these tracks and they really stand up.”
The ABKCO soundtrack includes the original versions of the songs that inspired the formation of the band whose story is at the core of the film, as well as music played by the band as heard in the film.
Not Fade Away - Track listing
1. “There Was a Time” – James Brown
2. “Tell Me” – The Rolling Stones
3. “Ride On Baby” – The Twylight Zones*
4. “Bo Diddley” – Bo Diddley
5. “Bo Diddley” – The Twylight Zones
6. “Subterranean Homesick Blues” – The Twylight Zones*
7. “Parachute Woman” – The Rolling Stones*
8. “Go Now” – The Moody Blues
9. “Time Is On My Side” – The Twylight Zones
10. “Dust My Broom” – Elmore James
11. “I Ain’t Gonna Eat Out My Heart” – The Rascals
12. “Good Morning Blues” – Lead Belly
13. “Train Kept A Rollin’” – Johnny Burnette & The Rock N’ Roll Trio*
14. “Train Kept A Rollin’” – The Twylight Zones
15. “Pretty Ballerina” – The Left Banke
16. “Down So Low” – Mother Earth
17. “Itchycoo Park” – The Small Faces
18. “Me and the Devil Blues” – Robert Johnson
19. “The St. Valentine’s Day Massacre” – The Twylight Zones
20. “T.B. Sheets” – Van Morrison
21. “Some Velvet Morning” – Nancy Sinatra & Lee Hazelwood
22. “Bali Ha’i” (From South Pacific) – Original Motion Picture Cast
23. “Road Runner” – The Sex Pistols
24. “Pipeline” – The Twylight Zones
25. “She Belongs To Me” – Bob Dylan
Digital Bonus Track: “Surgical Supply Jingle”
*Tracks not included in the film.
Executive Soundtrack Album Producer David Chase
Soundtrack Album Produced by Steven Van Zandt
Original Musical Performances by The Twylight Zones:
Steven Van Zandt
Arranged & Produced by Steven Van Zandt
Download the Album
Visit the Movie Website