El Topo Blu-Ray
El Topo, first released theatrically in 1969, made Jodorowsky a household name with the counterculture crowd of the early 1970s. El Topo provided the template for “Midnight Movie Madness,” screening seven nights a week at midnight for seven straight months at the infamous Elgin Cinema in New York. Paradoxically, the film was thoroughly panned by the film critic of the New York Times but it was then lauded by the paper’s art critic who called it “a monumental work of filmic art.” To say that El Topo became a “cult classic” is something of an understatement in light of its surprisingly broad acceptance fueled, in part, by ringing endorsements from John Lennon and Yoko Ono that made it a commercial success in its own time.
The film conflates classic American western and avant-garde European sensibilities with Zen Buddhism and the Bible as master gunfighter and mystic El Topo (played by writer/director Jodorowsky) attempts to defeat four sharp-shooting rivals on a bizarre path to allegorical self-awareness and resurrection.
El Topo Tech Specs / Bonus Features
• New HD transfer from original negative under the supervision of Alejandro Jodorowsky
• Original Academy Aspect Ratio: 1.33:1
• DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 & PCM Stereo
• Feature Commentary by Alejandro Jodorowsky
• English feature dub track
• On-Camera interview with Alejandro Jodorowsky
• Original theatrical trailer
• Photo Gallery
• Original script excerpts
• English, French, Spanish, Brazilian Portuguese subtitles