The Holy Mountain Blu-Ray
The Holy Mountain was Jodorowsky’s high budget follow-up to the worldwide success of El Topo, and took his psychedelic allegorical mastery to another level. He prepared for making the film by undergoing a psycho-spiritual boot camp, training in the spiritual arts and rituals that included a week of sleep deprivation under the supervision of a Zen master and LSD trips shepherded by a guru. Prior to shooting the film, the crew lived in isolation under Jodorowsky’s direction for a month. Visually and viscerally, the film is a masterwork that benefitted greatly from a labor intensive 2K scan restoration, which greatly enhanced The Holy Mountain’s color palate from its initial release.
When it was screened at the 1973 Cannes Film Festival, riots broke out in response to Jodorowsky’s flood of sacrilegious imagery and existential symbolism. The Holy Mountain chronicles a quest for enlightenment, pitting illusion against the truth as The Alchemist, played by the director, assembles a group of people from all walks of life to represent the planets in the solar system. Strange and provocative mystical rites to divest them of their worldly baggage ensue as they ascend the Holy Mountain to displace the immortal gods who secretly rule the universe.
The Holy Mountain Tech Specs / Bonus Features
• New HD transfer from 2K scan from original 35mm negative under the supervision of Alejandro Jodorowsky
• Original Aspect Ratio: 2.35:1 (Anamorphic)
• DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 & PCM Stereo
• Feature Commentary by Alejandro Jodorowsky
• Original theatrical trailer
• Deleted scenes with commentary by Alejandro Jodorowsky
• The Holy Mountain restoration process
• Photo Gallery
• Original Script Excerpts
• English, French, Spanish, Brazilian, Portuguese subtitles